Home » Forum » Yuengling lager IBU and Gravity, anyone know? Register | Login
Subject: Yuengling lager IBU and Gravity, anyone know?
Author: davidank
Sep 25th, 2006
6:52 pm
Hello. I didn't post a question in a long while here, but I have been reading almost everyday. So a BIG HELLO to everybody!

Anyway. I want to whip up a batch of beer today after work, and I was thinking, it'd be nice to have a brew that is very smooth like Yuengling Lager: to me it is not bitter at all, just very well balanced. I was wondering if anybody knows a close ballpark idea of the the OG and the IBU levels so I can get close to the smoothness I am after.

(I am not making a lager, I am making an ale that will be fermented at very cool temps about, 60F, that I'd like to have a smoothness similar to Yuengling lager).

Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks

-David
Subject: Re: Yuengling lager IBU and Gravity, anyone know?
Author: jimmer
Sep 25th, 2006
10:16 pm
I'd have to guess 19-21 for IBU.
Sep 25th, 2006
10:54 pm
Thanks Jimmer! Just in time I am brewing now.
Author: chris_and_em
Sep 26th, 2006
4:29 pm
Does anyone have the Yuengling Recipe or something close as I thought I might try this. I went to school close to where they make it and I thought that I might try and reproduce it as well. Let me know what you are thinking.

"I'd have to guess 19-21 for IBU"
That sounds about right to me as well and as for the OG just a guess but 1045-1050
What are your thoughts for the yeast strain? Grain Bill?
Sep 26th, 2006
5:25 pm
Hi Chris. I actually called the brewery a while back and talked to the brew master. I asked him about the porter and the ingredients (which he said is black patent, crystal 60L, pale malt, and corn grits). I didn't ask about the lager but here is a past thread about it.

http://www.tastybrew.com/forum/thread/44033

(I'd like to know the yeast they use in the lager and the porter!)

Sep 26th, 2006
5:31 pm
Potential lager grist. I just built this with the TB receipe calculator.

88.9 % 8.00 German Pilsener 41.5 2.3
11.1 % 1.00 Crystal 135L 4.0 24.5 (or try extra special malt from briess)

4.4% alcohol and from this page, dead on:
http://www.yuengling.com/faq.htm

Yeast? Your favorite lager yeast.

Author: chris_and_em
Sep 26th, 2006
7:37 pm
Can I go as for as using the bavarian lager 2206 or is there a better domestic lager yeast.
I only ask because I have the 2206 under an Octoberfest right now and would love to reuse
that yeast as opposed to buying a new one...who doesn't. Will I get the wrong character?

5 lbs. Lager or pils malt
1 lbs. Munich Malt
3/4 lbs. American Caramel 80°-90 L (Homemade) per HDB instructions
1.5 lbs. Corn Grits
.75 oz. Cluster (Pellets, 7.00 %AA) boiled 60 minutes.
.25 oz. Centennial (Pellets, 10 %AA) boiled 15 minutes. (or 1/2 5% cascade)
.25 oz. Centennial (Pellets, 10 %AA) @ knockout. (or 1/2 5% cascade)
North american lager yeast or even a neutral ale yeast works well!

From the previous post. Help with possible hop substituions?
Author: JoeFleischman
Sep 27th, 2006
12:27 am
David -

I would guess the gravity wouldn't be more than say 1.040 ish. If you want to find out for sure, take a bottle, degass it, and take both a hydrometer and refractometer reading and back extrapolate the OG with ProMash. Beware, just about every single batch is blended.

They have a brewery here in Tampa, I've talked extensively with the brewmaster, John H.(Really, really nice guy!) Anyways, you're going to be surprised by the following:

They use cluster hops for bittering and cascade for aroma. No idea on the IBU except that this beer basically has no IBU nor aroma - I'd say IBU's no greater than 20.

They use a domestic 6-row as the base(forget which one.)
Even though at the brewery tour they have a bottle of crystal malt and corn grits on show, they don't use it. They use a caramelized corn syrup that comes in gigantic 50 gallon barells along with plain corn syrup in lieu of grits.

All three beers are made with the same proprietary lager yeast. Yes, a porter made with lager yeast.
Sep 27th, 2006
12:29 am
Sorry, just reread your post. The info I gave was for the lager. Anyways, for the ale they just use more hops - both cluster and cascade and cut back a little on the caramelized syrup IIRC.
Sep 27th, 2006
12:39 am
1056 or 1968 might be good ale yeast choices. I just re-read your post too.
Sep 27th, 2006
1:45 am
Joe, thanks for the info. I know what you mean about the beer having no aroma. It is a very good beer though! It seems so smooth to me that I cannot really taste any hoppiness to it, it's just balanced, not too sweet not too much of any kind of hoppiness.

I talked with the brewmaster at the yuengling plant up here in pottsville on the phone sometime ago about the porter. I didn't ask anything about the lager. I also heard the beer made up here is differnt tasting compared to the beer made down there. Who knows though.

6 row, wow- I would of never guessed. I never used 6 row maybe I need to try some. Caramelized corn syrup, can I get that at a grocery store? Whe do you add the corn syrup, in the boil?

If the OG is only about 1.040, and the srm is on the darker side, I wonder how they balance the darker malts with it being low hopped. I know from my brewing that I need to hop generously if I have high amounts of maltiness and/or high amounts of darker malts and/or crystal type malts. If I under hop the beer is not good to me, it is too malty. Any info on this? I am still trying to figure this one out in my brewing learning!?>
Sep 27th, 2006
2:44 am
David -

Hey, don't get me wrong - I like Yuengling too. It's not my first go to beer, but I prefer it to other mass commercials. Here's a couple pics I took a while back:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/fleischman/bensbirthday2067.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/fleischman/bensbirthday2066.jpg

They don't use crystal malt nor grits anymore - IIRC, or maybe just crystal malt. I can't remember. Anyways, the color comes from the syrup for the lager at least, I think they throw in black patent for the porter but I can't remember. There's a fella named Chuck on the Northern Brewer forum that has been trying to clone this sucker like 7 or 8 times. You could drop him a private message if you feel so inclined. I would say he would be the expert in this case. I got him the contact info for the brewmaster here in Tampa. Anyways, the problem you're going to run into is the yeast. It's proprietary, I've asked for some but was politely refused even though they throw gallons of it away. Good luck.
Sep 27th, 2006
3:50 am
"Hey, don't get me wrong - I like Yuengling too. It's not my first go to beer, but I prefer it to other mass commercials."

I agree. I like it a lot because I grew up with it. I used to be in a band and that is what we drank while we were playing out at shows, and when I was camping, at parties, etc. I like my homebrew a lot more, but of the commercial brew I like it a lot. I had lager on draft at a community party event a few months ago and it was VERY delicious!
Author: djeffbee
Sep 27th, 2006
4:07 am
Me too David! Drank Lager pretty much for 9+ years.

I kinda have Fruity Pebbles syndrome with Yuengling Lager now though. Ever eat too many bowls of Fruity Pebbles when you were a kid that you can't even smell them now without almost vomiting. It's not that it's bad, I just overdid it when I was in my 20's..

Hey, maybe I am a wierdo. I am a hardcore Pennsylvanian, but I'll take the Sam Adams over YL anyday...

--FB
Author: macbrak
Sep 27th, 2006
1:02 pm
Here's a recipe I found on line a while back that I've been meaning to try. Below is the original recipe its "abstracted" from.

Yuengling Clone
Recipe Type: All Grain?Batch Size: 5 gal??Ingredients?----------------------------?5 lbs. Lager or pils malt?1 lbs. Munich Malt?7/8 lb. American Caramel 80?-90 L (Homemade) per HDB instructions?1.5 lbs. Corn Grits ?.75 oz. Cluster (Pellets, 7.00 %AA) boiled 60 minutes.?.25 oz. Centennial (Pellets, 10 %AA) boiled 15 minutes. (or 1/2 5% cascade)?.25 oz. Centennial (Pellets, 10 %AA) @ knockout. (or 1/2 5% cascade)?North american lager yeast or even a neutral ale yeast works well!??Brew with american double mash/CAP procedure

http://rreu.11net.com/yuengling/newsarticles/pville_repub/www.pottsville.com_pub_1997_Aug_16_c5509350.htm

145,800 12-ounce cans of Amber Lager= 1749600 oz in one batch?640 oz in 5 gallons?2733.75 5 gallon units in one batch?72 pounds of hops (Clusters and Cascades) = 1152 oz hops ?16,000 pounds of Carmeland Pale malt ?4,300 pounds corn grits ?When the pH-level was 6.4, the water is perfect?-------------------------?1.57 lbs corn grits per 5 gallon unit?5.85 lbs per 5 gallon unit?2.37 oz hops per 5 gallon unit
Author: blksabbath
Sep 27th, 2006
6:51 pm
I have my 1st "lager" attempt on tap right now. I actually based it off that link above but destroyed the gravity barrier and got 1.062, not the 1.044 I was originally aiming for. I also used all cascades because the clusters I ordered didn't come in on time. It turned out great. Obviously a bigger beer than the real thing, and the hops were slightly more assertive. My friend from PA who wanted me to brew it was very impressed and is actually going to serve the rest at his wedding in November. I'll post the recipe I came up with when I get a chance.

Even if you use an ale yeast, i'd definately still lager it for a while.
Sep 27th, 2006
9:25 pm
I am giong to do a bunch of lagers this winter when it is colder out. I am going to build some shelving in my shed to set my fermenters on and lager and ferment them when the outside temps are right.

I am going to be making a pilsner with white labs p800 yeast (that I got already from myLHBS) and a few other lagers that I havent decided on yet.

I'll probably try something like a yuengling lager type beer too.
Author: macbrak
Sep 27th, 2006
9:55 pm
Here's a prettier version (rtf crapped up the original)

Yuengling Clone
Recipe Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5 gal
Ingredients

5 lbs. Lager or pils malt
1 lbs. Munich Malt
7/8 lb. American Caramel 80?-90 L (Homemade) per HDB instructions
1.5 lbs. Corn Grits
.75 oz. Cluster (Pellets, 7.00 %AA) boiled 60 minutes.
.25 oz. Centennial (Pellets, 10 %AA) boiled 15 minutes. (or 1/2 5% cascade)
.25 oz. Centennial (Pellets, 10 %AA) @ knockout. (or 1/2 5% cascade)
North american lager yeast or even a neutral ale yeast works well!

Brew with american double mash/CAP procedure

http://rreu.11net.com/yuengling/newsarticles/pville_repub/www.pottsville.com_pub_1997_Aug_16_c5509350.htm

145,800 12-ounce cans of Amber Lager= 1749600 oz in one batch
640 oz in 5 gallons
2733.75 5 gallon units in one batch
72 pounds of hops (Clusters and Cascades) = 1152 oz hops
16,000 pounds of Carmeland Pale malt
4,300 pounds corn grits
When the pH-level was 6.4, the water is perfect

1.57 lbs corn grits per 5 gallon unit
5.85 lbs per 5 gallon unit
2.37 oz hops per 5 gallon unit

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.