Home » Forum » Krausen no longer dropping like it used to. Register | Login
Subject: Krausen no longer dropping like it used to.
Author: greg
Dec 7th, 2017
6:56 pm
We moved in to a new house last year and I'm on a well. I had the water tested and it's actually pretty good for brewing beer. I'm noticing though that my Krausen isn't dropping out like it used and I'm wondering if this might be related to my water chemistry. Specifically, I'm referring to Safale S05 but it's happening with other strains as well like 1007. Both these yeast have always fermented quickly in a temperature controlled environment but not here and the only difference is my water. Mash conversion and efficiency are good.
Subject: Re: Krausen no longer dropping like it used to.
Author: DConn
Dec 8th, 2017
4:47 pm
Both 05 and 1007 are noted for long lasting krausen, but it sounds like you're seeing different behavior with those than you used to. Has your calcium level changed? Calcium is responsible for yeast flocculation, so if your calcium level is down that _might_ have something to do with it.
Dec 14th, 2017
3:36 pm
Thanks Denny. I'm in the process of having my water tested and getting another water report. We have good water here as it has been tested before but being on a well I would imagine it changes from time to time.

Both beers have turned out great and finished where they were supposed to.
Dec 14th, 2017
4:30 pm
It might. I'm on a well, also, but mine is remarkably consistent.
Dec 15th, 2017
4:41 pm
My water might be consistent too just haven't been here long enough to tell. We'll probably stop having it tested after a few years of knowing it's safe to drink and the minerals remain good for brewing. The water is crystal clear and has no off flavors or odors. Nice deep well which goes down into a major aquafor.
Dec 15th, 2017
4:43 pm
Sounds great. I still get mine tested every 5 years or so just to see if it's changed, but so far it hasn't.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.