Home » Forum » New Hops Register | Login
Subject: New Hops
Author: redbrew
Jun 30th, 2017
4:08 am
I see there are lots of new and experimental hops on the market. Anyone have any opinion as to what is good and what is not so good?
Subject: Re: New Hops
Author: DConn
Jun 30th, 2017
2:59 pm
I have to admit at I'm sticking mostly to traditional varieties. I've been playing with some of the new stuff like Ekuanot, but I try to tone down the tropical fruit character by mixing them with other less fruity hops. The thing I've found most interesting lately is cryo hops....hops frozen with LN2, then the lupulin is extracted. Very potent oils, very fresh flavor and aroma.
Author: brewballs
Jun 30th, 2017
5:21 pm
I got a free pound of Pilgrim hops, but I honestly don't know what to do with them.
Jul 1st, 2017
4:03 pm
I've never even heard of them. Found this, though...."Specific aroma descriptors include distinct fruit and spice characteristics with pleasant lemon, grapefruit, pear and berry flavors." https://ychhops.com/varieties/pilgrim
Author: brewballs
Jul 2nd, 2017
3:00 am
That's it. I forgot that they're actually UK Pilgrim. I might try them in a simple pale ale.
Author: redbrew
Jul 7th, 2017
3:48 am
Ahhhh.........nothing more fun that liquid nitrogen or liquid oxygen. You haven't lived until you have frozen a nice sized frog and shattered it against a cement barrier.

Who are you buying the cryo hops from? Do they have a decent selection? I am interested in the newer varieties.
Jul 8th, 2017
3:50 pm
They just started shipping and the should be available at any HBS that buys from Brewcraft USA Here's info...https://ychhops.com/hop-products/cryo-hops . They come in both powder and pellet form. I've found the pellets are easier to use becasue the powder usually just floats on top.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.