Home » Forum » Sanitizer (to rinse or not to rinse) Register | Login
Subject: Sanitizer (to rinse or not to rinse)
Author: WVaBill
May 27th, 2013
2:47 pm
Just wondering what folks think about rinsing out fermenters (to remove any residual sanitizer) before racking? I have read that any residual sanitizer (primarily Star-san or Iodophore) won't affect the flavor of your beer. I however am not convinced and I usually rinse out my fermenter, because I just can't believe that the residual sanitizer won't affect flavor. Thoughts???
Subject: Re: Sanitizer (to rinse or not to rinse)
Author: DConn
May 27th, 2013
3:21 pm
Try not rinsing so you can compare and you'll convince yourself.
Author: dobl_D
May 27th, 2013
5:55 pm
I don't rinse only sanitize with star san. Don't fear the foam, is what I always say. The bubbles left over from draining my carboy end up sitting on top of the wort during the first few hours of fermenting. In the end, no changes in taste at all.

It's going to be fine.
Author: uisgue
May 27th, 2013
6:13 pm
I always heard that tap water itself can contaminate your brew and theoretically your equipment should be re-sanitized after rinsing.
May 27th, 2013
8:20 pm
Uisgue,

I have struggled a bit with this also, but haven't had any problems with infections due to rinsing yet. I am due for one (I am sure). I will try my best to not fear the foam (just looks so damn soapy).
Author: uisgue
May 27th, 2013
8:36 pm
Rest assured that it is not soap. If I remember right, it is phosphoric acid. It breaks down into things that the yeast can absorb.
Author: osubrewer
May 28th, 2013
1:09 am
Never rinse, never a problem. If you don't want much foam then sanitize a couple hours or so in advance and turn the container over so that it will drain out over a few hours. It ends up being dry and rarely leaves much if any foam. Just a matter of planning. I can't imagine adding rinse water is a good idea, if so why do you boil water to sterilize it -- because it does have bacteria in it and has chlorine, both are much worse for the beer.
May 28th, 2013
1:55 am
osubrewer,

Fair question, but I use filtered water that I boiled as rinse water. So, i don't really think these are bad for beer, just probably an un-necessary step.
Author: chadtruitt
Jun 4th, 2013
10:21 pm
I drain the excess foam out.....never rinse. I usually have a lot of foam left on my kegs before kegging and it has never caused me any problems...
Author: ryansn
Jun 6th, 2013
6:19 am
I don't rinse. Tap water has chlorine which can inhibit your yeast. I use iodophore for sanitation. Used Star San but the foam really whigged me out. Just could not get past the foam and iodine is safer than phosphoric acid.
Author: joejitsu
Jun 8th, 2013
1:59 am
+1 for iodophor. For those with a backyard full of weeds its a godsend. Just dump a full carboy on the ground and all your weeds will disappear.
Author: chadtruitt
Jun 11th, 2013
12:38 pm
Never thought of it as a weed killer. Does it kill the grass too? If it works then I may change back to iodophor from StarSan just to make it dual purpose.....
Author: philj
Jun 17th, 2013
8:49 pm
I never rinse. Beers are allways fine.
Author: BB_BrewBoy
Jun 17th, 2013
9:39 pm
I have both types of sanitizers on hand, but I use Star San almost exclusively and never rinse.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.