Home » Forum » Gluco-amylase and Alpha Amylase Register | Login
Subject: Gluco-amylase and Alpha Amylase
Author: andy
Mar 21st, 2013
7:12 am
Now that I have mastered Extract brewing. I want to try grain brewing or a combination of both. Anyway, part of my mash will by 5 lbs of "malted" buckwheat. I have the dreaded Celiac disease
so I need to brew Gluten Free. I thought that I only need Alpha Amylase. But after reading a post I saw one brewer stating that you need both the Gluco Amylase and Alpha Amylase. Do I need both
or just the Alpha Amylase?
Subject: Re: Gluco-amylase and Alpha Amylase
Author: Greenebrew
Mar 21st, 2013
10:48 pm
what will the rest of your mash/sugar source be? sorghum syrup? buckwheat is gluten free to begin with and the sugars will be broken down by the alpha and beta amylase enzymes which you can add if buckwheat doesnt contain enough already. I'm not sure gluco amylase is a real thing..
Mar 22nd, 2013
2:24 am
Will be using 3 lbs sorghum syrup, 2 lbs brown rice syrup and 1 lb of adjunct. Maybe candy sugar.
Do you think that Alpha Amylase is enough?
Author: Greenebrew
Mar 23rd, 2013
8:52 pm
ya, if you do a mini mash of the buckwheat adding alpha amylase will be sufficient. It might not even need that, I don't know the diastatic power of buckwheat but it may be able to break down its own sugars without added enzyme. is the malted buckwheat home made?
Mar 23rd, 2013
9:21 pm
I am malting it myself but the Colorado Malting co sells grains that area already malted. Ready to throw in mash. Even Gluten free grains (but in a limited supply). So, alpha amylase is good enough. Cool.
Author: Rex_Irae
Apr 1st, 2013
2:18 am
Time is the other variable.
It's all about time.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.