Home » Forum » New to Gluten Free Brewing Register | Login
Subject: New to Gluten Free Brewing
Author: AdAm84
Mar 31st, 2012
1:46 am
Hello everyone. I've been off of here for a while as I'm going through a bunch of allergy testing and as a result, I've been Gluten-Free for about 2 months. I'm curious as to if anyone on here has any experience with GF brewing. I had listened to the Brewing Network a while ago on their GF show. I learned a lot and have recently started brewing 3 gallon GF batches. My first is an all-citra hopped Pale. I used a can (3.3lb) of Briess Sorghum, .5lb of Buckwheat Honey (for color and malt flavor) and 2oz of Maltodextrin for body. All of my hop additions were .25oz @ 30min, and .75oz @ 5 min for a total of around 30IBU. I've heard that late hop additions work best w/sorghum, so I'm giving that a try. If anyone has any tried and true GF recipes, I am all ears. I'm thinking that the characteristics of Sorghum will lend themselves very well to belgians. So, the next I'm planning is a Wit.

I'm also looking at doing some small conversions with Amylase Enzyme and adjuncts (like GF oats) to add body and flavor. Does anyone have any experiance/advice with this also. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.
Subject: Re: New to Gluten Free Brewing
Author: spargebag
Mar 31st, 2012
2:57 am
Ive heard good things about sorghum tripels. Never tasted 1 though.
Author: Grecord
Mar 31st, 2012
4:53 am
I've been down that road before to make beer for my Celiac brother. Sorghum beers are bodyless and light - They work for summer beers. The best method and tried on two celiac's is using White Labs Clarity Ferm WLP4000. Brew normal barley beer without wheat, pitch a vial of Clarity ferm when pitching yeast and let it work its magic. It converts the gluten into um, i dont know. It disappears. You end up with GF beer.

Companies won't tell you it will make beer GF - But do some searching online and you'll see many success stories like mine with clarity ferm.
Author: BryansBrew
Mar 31st, 2012
4:44 pm

Widmer is coming out with a gluten-free barley based beer. it's been in the news this week, so a quick google will find something.
Author: spwright
Apr 6th, 2012
4:54 am
I am on this road presently. For myself. I haven't had recent allergy testing, but I am increasingly becoming convinced I have a gluten allergy or intolerance. I have eliminated all gluten from my diet. All but beer, which is hard, but may become necessary.

I have brewed 4 times with Briess sorghum syrup with good success. I use 1lb corn sugar per 5 gal. batch to aid attenuation. My last batch had an OG of 1053 with an FG of 1.006 using Wyeast 1056 with a 1 liter starter (from 1 cup of the sorghum syrup). I also used .5lb toasted buckwheat and 4oz. of Belgian candy sugar. I hopped with Zues and Cascade. I hop at a rate to produce the bitterness of an IPA but with the gravity of a pale ale. This seems to produce a better beer, but it may be outside of style parameters. I hope the BJCP develops GF only styles, because GF can't really compete with barley based beers. This recipe has turned out like real beer in all but the mouthfeel, which is thin. I plan to brew a similar recipe tomorrow night without the buckwheat, but with GF oats to enhance the mouthfeel. I have been happy with my previous efforts since being very dry, my GF beers have not had the cidery like taste common to sorghum beers.

A note about Clarity Ferm. I was very anxious to try this, in hopes I could continue to to brew barley based worts and not have the skin rash issue my allergy to wheat, soy, and I fear gluten, produces. Clarity Ferm is produced from a proline-specific endo-protease derived from a selected self-cloned strain of Aspergillus niger. Aspergillus niger is a fungus and I seem to react to this; my allergy testing has indicated adverse reactions to some mushroom and other fungi species.

The other thing I noticed about Clarity Ferm is that both beers I brewed using it (with no other variation in the recipe) produced beers that took 3-4 weeks additional bottle conditioning to reach optimum characteristics. It may be worth a try.

I recently discovered a dedicated GF brewery in Portland, Oregon. It is called Harvester Brewing. They have bottled 3 beers in bombers that are available to me at $5.99 a bottle. I like their dark ale best, which is shown as a porter on beeradvocate.com but it is not a good porter. It is my favorite commercially produced GF beer, but the mouthfeel is lacking. This brewery is using roasted chestnuts in all their brews. It is intriguing, as the aroma, appearance, and taste are very much like "real" beer. Only the mouthfeel is lacking.

Best wishes, and please share your GF brewing experiences.

Regards,

Steve

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.