Home » Forum » SAFLAGER S-23 Fermentation temp questions Register | Login
Subject: SAFLAGER S-23 Fermentation temp questions
Author: Dunkelbier
Jan 6th, 2012
5:21 pm
I'm fermenting a lager in my garage and the temp in the fermentation chamber has been between 45*F-50*F. The fact sheet from Fermentis indicates a fermentation range of 48*-59*.

Here are my questions - what temperature have you used this yeast at? Do I need to worry about temp since it's fermenting relatively 'cold' when looking at the fact sheet?

Bonus round: This is the second fermentation cycle for this batch of yeast - can I use it for a third batch or is that inviting disaster due to potential genetic mutation of the yeast?

Thanks!
Subject: Re: SAFLAGER S-23 Fermentation temp questions
Author: EricHa
Jan 6th, 2012
5:46 pm
as long as you've handled it correctly, you could use it up to 4-5more times. and it works fine at 50F....which means I prob had it set to around 45F...
Author: DConn
Jan 6th, 2012
5:47 pm
The consensus from people who have used S-23 is that it produces a much better beer around 60F than it does at conventional lager temps. May people, myself included, find it undrinkably fruity if fermentented at lower temps. You say you've used it before...what were your results with it?
Jan 6th, 2012
5:57 pm
@ EricHa - Thanks!

@ DConn - Thanks for the feedback. This is my second ever lager. The first batch is 'lagering' as we speak. It tasted great going into the bottle about 2 weeks ago. I might have to sneak a bottle to how it's aging - I'll report back later.
Author: EricHa
Jan 6th, 2012
6:00 pm
I have to admit that it does give a fruitiness but I've never gone higher with it except for the D rest... everyone liked it so its going to come down to individual taste.
Jan 6th, 2012
6:07 pm
If you can find them, 34/70 is a great dry lager yeast for things like pils, and S-189 is a great dry lager yeast for maltier styles, like bock. Either one of them is far better than S-23 IMO.
Author: BryansBrew
Jan 6th, 2012
6:13 pm
I agree with 34/70. I have some on hand. Though I enjoyed it in maltier styles, too. Never tried the 189
Jan 6th, 2012
6:41 pm
They both kinda cross over. I've used S-189 for pils and it worked really well, just not as well as 34/70. Vice versa, too.
Jan 6th, 2012
7:01 pm
Thanks again Gents. My lhbs only stocked the S23 strain and I didn't want to go the liquid yeast route since I didn't know when I was going to brew.
Author: brewboy_BB
Jan 6th, 2012
7:07 pm
US05 fermented at 50 F make a great pseudo lager.
Jan 6th, 2012
7:10 pm
Yeah, it can, although it's not quite as clean as either 34/670 or S-189.
Jan 6th, 2012
7:31 pm
I've never compared cold fermented US05 to those yeasts, have you?
Jan 6th, 2012
7:36 pm
Not directly side by side, but I've been doing a lot of sensory analysis with 05 the last 6 months or so. As clean as it is, I can pick up a hint of fruitiness, no matter what the fermentation temp, that 1056 or a good lager yeast doesn't have. Doesn't mean that I don't still really like 05 or that I will discontinue using it. It's a very small thing and I agree with your conclusion that 05 can make a really good pseudo lager. I think the only yeast better for that would be WY1007 and it doesn't have the ease of use of 05.
Jan 6th, 2012
7:41 pm
I definitely like it as much as 2007, maybe enough to quit using that strain.
Jan 6th, 2012
7:43 pm
2007 or 1007? I split a batch of alt between 1007 and 05 and to me and others who tasted it, 1007 was the clear winner. But tastes differ. If your taste buds tell you to go with 05, that's obviously the right thing to do.
Jan 6th, 2012
8:54 pm
It was actually 2001.
Jan 6th, 2012
9:24 pm
That's one I haven't used.
Jan 7th, 2012
1:35 am
Had a chance to sample a bottle of the lager. It's only been in the bottle for about 8 days and has decent carbonation. It tastes to me like all the flavors haven't blended yet as expected, but so far so good. I'm not picking up any fruitiness, but then again I don't have the most sensitive nose (been broken 3 times).

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.