Home » Forum » annual Pumpkin Beer argument thread (2011 edition) Register | Login
Subject: annual Pumpkin Beer argument thread (2011 edition)
Author: JoePostma
Sep 15th, 2011
8:14 pm
I thought I'd get the ball rolling on an annual tastybrew argument. I know there are basically 4 opinions out there: No pumpkin, pumpkin in mash, pumpkin in boil, pumpkin in fermentation. Although I'd never made a pumpkin beer before, I was always in the "pumpkin in mash" group. I feel like pumpkin beer should have pumpkin in it, and pumpkin is made of complex sugars/starches, so they need to be broken down enzymatically. Now I'm starting to change my mind, and I feel like pumpkin in the boil might be alright. Here are my thoughts:

- I want pumpkin flavor, not pumpkin sugar (if you feel like pumpkin has no flavor, go with "no pumpkin" approach)
- I'm not worried about leftover starches, since it seems like they would be de minimis (else they would have an impact on FG, and I don't believe that this is the case).
- Lastly, I found this article about a Boston Beerworks recipe where pro brewers (who make several pumpkin ales) add canned pumpkin to a 90 minute boil of a 3bbl batch, and specifically mention that mashing is generally unproductive:
http://www.audioholics.com/news/editorials/pumpkin-ale-home-brew-recipe-and-commercial-microbrew-recipe

I'm not going to add pumpkin to the fermentor. I added chilli peppers to the fermentor of one of my brews a few months ago, and right now it has a pellicle so thick you could bounce a superball off it.

Anyway, I know this probably won't change anyone's mind, but I'm going to work on an extract pumpkin ale recipe now...
Subject: Re: annual Pumpkin Beer argument thread (2011 edition)
Author: JohnMitchellOKC
Sep 15th, 2011
8:24 pm
I brewed a Pumpkin Dunkel last season and Boiled the canned pumpkin, added spices for the pumpkin flavor/Aroma..worked out well
Sep 15th, 2011
8:28 pm
That's what I'm thinking - pumpkin at the beginning of the boil, and pumpkin spice at the last 5 minutes.
Author: TullyMountain
Sep 15th, 2011
8:28 pm
There's a good pumpkin thread already started below. check it out.
Author: PortBrewer
Sep 15th, 2011
8:29 pm
First pumpkin extract batch 3 weeks ago, 2 cans of the pie filling in the last 15 minutes of the boil
It finished high, and I am considering re-pitching. Iíll wait a little longer, early October to see if there has been any movement
Sep 15th, 2011
8:30 pm
Whoa, Tully... Not sure how I missed that one. Sorry for the dupe.
Author: BryansBrew
Sep 15th, 2011
8:36 pm
lots of good points on both sides. Luckily this is homebrewing so you can do WTF you like! Make your own decisions.
Author: Outinthestix
Sep 16th, 2011
10:30 am
I never really had a pumpkin beer that didn't taste like like liquid pumpkin pie. Ive had it with real pumpkin, just spices and pumpkin flavor extract...Some were cloudy, some had a nice orange hue, some looked like a normal ale that just tasted like all spice and cinnamon. If anyone really has a winner recipe id like to try and brew it. Yes pumpkin belongs in pumpkin beer..NO CORN though .lolol
Author: brewboy_BB
Sep 16th, 2011
11:35 am
I can look at about any recipe and determine if I might like it or, at the very least, be able to finish it off. I can't say that using spices, because the only time I've used them is with a wit.

I too would like a tried and true recipe, as well, before I brew up 10 gallons of lawn fertilizer. Of course, even "tried and true" is subjective.
Author: dnfd737
Sep 16th, 2011
8:46 pm
I hate pumpkin beers.......with that said I am also a firm historical brewer, pumpkin was a major item in colonoal brewing as were most vegie items.....again with that said, raw pumpkin needs to be cooked then mashed with plenty of 6 row. this will give you pumpkin adjunct beer. if you desire pumpkin adjunct beer with spices then do the above with addes traditional pumpkin pie spices added to the secondary as a dry spice or add in the boil at flame out and allow to steep for 10 minutes minimum. and last you could skip the pumpkin and just add the spice to any beer as noted above to get a "pumpkin pie spice beer"
-if you want pumpkin flavor leave out the spices
-if you are worried about clairity make it a "wheat beer" add some wheat to the mash and usw a wheat beer yeast in addition to the pumpkin which will add a pectin like haze to the beer.
-if you are worried about clairity and want a clear beer skip the pumpkin and go for a spiced beer
-adding pumpkin to a fermentor only asks for infection problems using raw pumpkin again asks for problems.....dont do it!
Author: goschman
Sep 24th, 2011
9:36 pm
Sorry to keep this going all. I have been out for a while. In that time, my wife has requested that I do a pumpkin beer. I decided to be a bit different and go with a pumpkin porter. I plan on adding baked pumpkin to the mash as well as the usual spices. I have two questions:

1.) what temp and how long should the pumpkin cook?
2.) how much pumpkin should be used per gallon of beer?

I know I could probably dig for the answers but usually this way is a bit quicker. Thanks!
Author: jtrainer
Sep 25th, 2011
2:29 am
You forgot the 5th Pumpkin addition... The spices only edition whereas you take a very dark amber and toss in the spices your familiar with for pumpkin pies. I like to suggest doing this in your families traditional spices in case this differs from my families traditional spicing. In other words whatever reminds you of fond childhood seasonal memories.
Author: reddskinnfan
Sep 25th, 2011
1:07 pm
@goschman - 325-350 for 90 min. Use 4-5 lbs per 5 gallons. (of course these answers are based off of other threads in other forums like HBT, NB, and MB.)
Author: goschman
Sep 25th, 2011
4:03 pm
thanks redskin...that's what I was looking for
Author: AdAm84
Sep 25th, 2011
9:39 pm
The pumkin beer we did this morning called for 1 roasted pumpkin that had been baked with pumpkin pie spices. It was placed in grain bags and added at the 60 min mark with 1.5 oz of EKG. Also added whole cinnamon sticks, whole allspice, and whole nutmeg at the same time. I was under the impression that the dpices should be added at flameout or close to, but this is a very popular recipe at our LHBS. So, with that said, I followed it as close as possible, with the exception of using WGV instead of the EKG, since it appears everyone in our area is brewing this same recipe this weekend and all the EKG was gone. The popularity of this recipe amazes me, so if it is any good, I will repost it here.
Author: BrewerBob
Sep 27th, 2011
4:50 am
I just use spices. I use them as you would hops. I found the best spice blend I have ever used is Trader Joe's Pumpkin Spice. It usually comes out around this time of year and is incredibly fresh.
Author: MattG
Sep 27th, 2011
4:56 am
What yeast is everyone going to use?
Author: jtrainer
Sep 27th, 2011
5:11 am
US-05 of course....
Sep 27th, 2011
11:55 am
1728 yeast cake.
Author: brewboy_BB
Sep 27th, 2011
12:25 pm
Is there yeast other than US-05?
Sep 27th, 2011
3:09 pm
Yes, there is also wlp001.

I ended up making my pumpkin with 30oz canned pumpkin (from whole foods) at the beginning of the boil. I baked it for 75 mins at 350F before tossing it in. I also added 14oz of cooking grade maple syrup and 1.5tsp of mccormick's pumpkin pie spice in the last 5 mins.

The grist was simple: 2-row, C20 and a couple ounces of chocolate malt mostly for color.

It'll be in a keg this week, so we'll see how it tastes. It smells great.
Author: AdAm84
Sep 27th, 2011
8:19 pm
s-04 with Whitbread Goldings, I guess it would be more of an English style ale.
Oct 8th, 2011
3:05 pm
So far very disappointed with the pumpkin beer. it's yeasty in aroma and flavor. That's about it. Definitely no pumpkin or even spices present. I'll be adding a rum mixture with vanilla bean and spices today. Hopefully that'll save this beer.

I'm not too happy with the beer I made before it, an 80-/ I'm wondering if I got a bad batch of yeast or what. It just doesn't taste like what I remembered 1728 to be. Not nearly as clean.

I just now dumped the bottom yeast. There was less than i expected especially being on a yeast cake. Hopefully it'll help settle the rest out. Flocc seems really bad. Also increased the temp a bit. I hope to keg it next weekend.
Oct 12th, 2011
10:02 pm
huh. both the scottish and pumpkin have this yeast aroma, but it goes away after a minute or two, and then it's fairly decent.

The second round of spice additions are barely noticeable, but there. Subtle which is how I like it.
Author: BrewerBob
Oct 13th, 2011
9:43 pm
I've used Nottingham with great results in my Punkin Wheat Ale

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.