Home » Forum » turkey fryer problems Register | Login
Subject: turkey fryer problems
Author: dstebor
Mar 26th, 2011
4:28 pm
Hello all, it's the weekend!!
I received a turkey fryer from my dad for christmas (so i wouldn't borrow his burner) I've brewed a couple of batches of beer, some soda and boiled water in new aluminum pot.

The burner i'm sure isn't burning very efficiently due to the large amount of soot on the bottom of the boil pot. The wort boils just fine but this soot makes clean up take longer.

MY QUESTION

Do you think i could put a piece of aluminum or steel plate over the burner to take the soot and protect the pot. It may take longer to come to a boil or does anyone have another suggestion short of buying a homebrew burner??

thanks

Subject: Re: turkey fryer problems
Author: StinkEyeBrewing
Mar 26th, 2011
4:33 pm
Do you have the air/gas mixture right. My Fryer has a control vent to allow more/less air to mix with the propane and produce a better blue flame. Also, it took a couple of hours to burn off the paint and give me consistent good flame
Mar 26th, 2011
4:52 pm
good call on the paint!

The air damper is wide open i disassembled it and removed the little bug screen thinking that would help.

OH YEA one more question, is there a better way to defeat the stuuupid timer? i drilled a hole in the knob / body and put a pin to keep it from turning off seems to work but too Rube Goldberg for me.

With a name like Stinkeye it has to be good
Author: StinkEyeBrewing
Mar 26th, 2011
5:02 pm
I just wrapped a twist tie around the timer/ plunger and the gas manifold to keep the plunger in/ gas on.
Author: PabloBlanco
Mar 26th, 2011
5:28 pm
you could always get a new gas line. The high pressure lines and regulators make a turkey fryer into a jet burner.
Mar 26th, 2011
5:36 pm
StinkEye
once the flame is going i dont have to keep the plunger in, just have to relight every 20minutes while boiling what a pain

Pablo,
That may work any suppliers you could recommend?
Author: PabloBlanco
Mar 27th, 2011
12:28 am
ahh here's one i got my high pressure reg and tubing from.

homebrewstuff.com
Author: wstmdhophead
Mar 27th, 2011
12:48 am
F$@# that timer. That thing used to piss me off until I rigged it. I used two zip ties, haven't had a problem since. I'm thinking you have the same model I have, you'll find that you have to always adjust the air intake. Wind and temp definitely have an impact on the flame.
Author: loopa465
Mar 27th, 2011
12:52 am
so i have the same problem with the timer (and hadn't even thought about fixing it to stay on) on my fryer and i didn't even know there was a air intake thing.... shit.. i'll have to check that out when i get home

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.