Home » Forum » Has anyone used T-58 yeast Register | Login
Subject: Has anyone used T-58 yeast
Author: SilentTitan
Nov 10th, 2010
3:12 pm
so i plan on doing two simple batches this week, both will have 7lb of pale ale malt, .5lb crystal 60 one will have target hops and the other simcoe. for the one with simcoe i was going to use ol' reliable notty, but for the target batch i want to try something different and was thinking T-58 could be interesting. anyone have experence with this yeast?
Subject: Re: Has anyone used T-58 yeast
Author: sagnew440
Nov 10th, 2010
3:45 pm
I brewed a wit with t-58 about a month ago. In my opinion its a good yeast. I fermented low in the low 60's ten ramped it up to about 70 after a week. Bananna, bubblegum and spice. Not overpowering but it's there. Definetly belginesqe.
Author: AZbrewman
Nov 10th, 2010
4:16 pm
I've used t58 several times. What I noticed is you can get some serious bananas if it get to warm. I do like sagnew and start in the low 60s, if you start above 65f expect banana beer. Not my favorite Belgian yeast but its good.
Author: SilentTitan
Nov 10th, 2010
4:25 pm
yeah my frementing room is at like 62 deg right now so i should be good. im not really looking for any style per say just something different, i think ill give it a try. as for the banana part maybe down the road i should do a recipe with MO, some victory and bisket , and ferment over 70. try and make a banana nut bread beer lol.
Author: ChuckBuckerson
Nov 10th, 2010
6:02 pm
I've used this yeast a lot, and everything said above is definitely true. I like this yeast a lot, but it gives wildly different results at different temps. If you want esters, let it get warmer (high 60's to mid 70's), if not, keep it cooler. You will still get some interesting yeast flavors going on, but it won't be so fruity.
I actually just kegged a Tripel I made over the summer with a third generation slurry of this yeast, and it is not all that great, but that is because it got way to warm. I'm guessing into the low 80's. It produced a lot of light alcohols, and will give you a crusher of a headache if you have more than a couple.
Keep it cooler, and it is a great yeast.
Author: DavidPalm
Nov 11th, 2010
1:39 am
I did 10 gallons of honey blond ale (CLB's recipe posted on this forum. Very nice!) I fermented half with US-05 and half with T-58. Two totally different beers, both very nice. I'll try this again.
Author: BryansBrew
Nov 11th, 2010
1:23 pm
Used it a few times. It's more of a tart and spicy wheat (bordering on wit) than the usual banana strains. WB06 is better for a german wheat. I'd use T56 for a wit or maybe BdG/Saison

I usually ferment around 67F

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.