Home » Forum » Hops not flowering Register | Login
Subject: Hops not flowering
Author: Longshot
Sep 5th, 2010
8:36 pm
I've got a Centennial, a Cascade, and a Chinook plant growing in my folks' backyard (all 1st year). Each is planted only a few feet from each other, but they're in a narrow walkway so they do get different amounts of sun/shade during the day. The Chinook is doing poorly- I think it may have been underwatered early on and never fully recovered. The Cascade is doing OK- one bine is up to around 14' tall now and has sprouted maybe 2 dozen flowers.
The Centennial is the oddball. It's about 10' tall, three solid-looking bines, and VERY leafy from bottom to top. At first glance, it appears to be healthier than the Cascade. The problem is that it hasn't produce a single flower thus far.
Any thoughts?
Subject: Re: Hops not flowering
Author: grizwald
Sep 6th, 2010
2:08 am
At 10-14 feet it may be a bit early. Not sure where you are, but in the area where I live (30 miles north of Everett WA.) this summer has been the pits for gardening in general. Last year my 2nd yr mt. hoods and Willamettes went crazy--grew about 6-8 inches a day at the peak, and produced abundantly, but this year both are much sparser and not nearly as many flowers. Having said that, I also did not fertilize this year--that may have been a factor as well.
P.
Subject: Re: Hops not flowering
Author: darrenct83
Sep 6th, 2010
2:16 am
I can't wait for the spring so I can get my hops going! From what I've read you shouldn't expect much yield from your first year plants. If you don't get any flowers from it next year then you should start worrying.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.