Home » Forum » How many batches do you get out of a propane tank? Register | Login
Subject: How many batches do you get out of a propane tank?
Author: Dunkelbier
Jul 25th, 2010
5:33 am
I know that this will vary, but how many all-grain batches do you get out of a propane tank?
Subject: Re: How many batches do you get out of a propane tank?
Author: nander21
Jul 25th, 2010
6:02 am
i got 10 parochial and 8 all grain out of one tank. i know that seems like a lot but i dont allows go for a full vigorous bile.
Author: WAbrewer
Jul 25th, 2010
7:24 am
5 with a nice full boil but I also tend to do 90 minute boils
Author: djeffbee
Jul 25th, 2010
11:51 am
Using the kab4 for 10g batches, it seems like 1.5 (yuck). My bro in law handles the propain* and I noticed that tank swaps say "net wt 15 lbs" so 25% of the tank is empty when you buy it.

We are talking about converting to electric now - I make 5G batches - should be a piece of cake with heat sticks, together we do 20-30G at a time, thats alot of f*cking propain*.

*Propain, a euphemism for propane, was borrowed without permission from a post from BB.
Author: bryguy
Jul 25th, 2010
2:54 pm
I was getting between 5 and 7 per tank although let's be honest, it's always more like 5.75 to 7.2. You pretty much have to have two tanks and keep an eye on them. It's why I switched to NG when I had the chance.
Author: beer4blood
Jul 25th, 2010
5:31 pm
I get 3 - 4 batches and several bar-b -ques out of a tank. If I was using it solely for brewing, probably 5 -6. But I have a new 15 gallon BK to do 10 gallon batches with so those numbers are gonna change.
Author: Dunkelbier
Jul 25th, 2010
6:30 pm
Looks like the general consensus is 5-6 5 gallon batches. Good to know! Thanks!
Author: Pablo
Jul 25th, 2010
6:37 pm
this has been covered multiple times, if you use the search function you will see tons of post.

Most range from 4 to 10 batches but it all depends on how much you use it, how high your flame is, if you only use it for boiling or for heating strike water and mash water. So many variables thats it hard to say for sure.

Author: cgort
Jul 25th, 2010
7:12 pm
I usually get about two batches and enough to BBQ a few times... I use it for heating water and for the boil and I make 10 gal batches.
Author: Marco
Jul 25th, 2010
9:48 pm
On a 5 gal tank... I've done three all grain so far and have more gas... So maybe 5? I'd really like to tap my natural gas line though...

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.