Home » Forum » Give me some head. Register | Login
Subject: Give me some head.
Author: dactat
May 21st, 2010
9:54 pm
How can I get a little head on my beers. The two batches I have done are fully carbed, but no head. what can I do for the next one?
Subject: Re: Give me some head.
Author: Longshot
May 21st, 2010
10:49 pm
Could be your glassware- if I clean mine in the dishwasher it tends to kill the beer's head. I think I heard somewhere that the anti-spotting agents in some dishwashers can do this. A tap water rinse seems before pouring seems to help.
Since you're just on your second batch, this probably won't be the case, but... high ABV can also limit head retention.
Author: gt
May 21st, 2010
10:54 pm
Add a pound of wheat to your recipes.
Author: shaun0426
May 22nd, 2010
1:03 am
Carapils, and crystal help with head retention as well
Author: jtrainer
May 22nd, 2010
1:36 am
Post a recipe, what kind of beer, extract all grain etc?

May 22nd, 2010
5:00 am
Extract, pale ale

3lbs Light DME
3lbs amber dme
1.5 amarillo 60 min
.5 amarillo 15 min
safeale us-05
Author: cdrsfrg
May 22nd, 2010
10:42 am
I use 1 tsp of Cream of Tartar for a 5 gal batch. It seems to help head.
Author: shaun0426
May 22nd, 2010
3:10 pm
" I use 1 tsp of Cream of Tartar for a 5 gal batch. It seems to help head." really never heard this one...
Author: DConn
May 22nd, 2010
3:35 pm
Could be any of a number of things. First, extract beers sometime have less head because of the way extract is made. Second, could be your glassware. Third, it could be your pitching rate or fermentation. Take a look at this article. Not only does it give some fermentation related causes, it has some tests you can do to help determine where the problem lies.

http://byo.com/stories/article/indices/35-head-retention/697-getting-good-beer-foam-techniques

Author: jtrainer
May 22nd, 2010
4:52 pm
Now that I see your recipe.. yeah I'll agree and repeat DC's comments above...

"Could be any of a number of things. First, extract beers sometime have less head because of the way extract is made. Second, could be your glassware. Third, it could be your pitching rate or fermentation. Take a look at this article. Not only does it give some fermentation related causes, it has some tests you can do to help determine where the problem lies.

http://byo.com/stories/article/indices/35-head-retention/697-getting-good-beer-foam-techniques "

I'd suggest going to a partial mash and adding wheat for some head retention proteins and maybe some carapils for body if it needs it. While your steeping the grain add a couple of lbs of 2 Row and cut back the extract a bit... Steep enough grains and eliminate the extract all together..
Author: DavidS
May 22nd, 2010
8:19 pm
"Could be any of a number of things. First, extract beers sometime have less head because of the way extract is made. Second, could be your glassware. Third, it could be your pitching rate or fermentation. Take a look at this article. Not only does it give some fermentation related causes, it has some tests you can do to help determine where the problem lies.

http://byo.com/stories/article/indices/35-head-retention/697-getting-good-beer-foam-techniques "

I agree.
Author: CNYBrewing
May 22nd, 2010
10:51 pm
I agree with Danny and then with 1 and 3 from Denny and then 2 also but that was just a restatement of Danny. So i'd start with clean glasswear first.
Author: redbrew
May 22nd, 2010
11:21 pm
Super hot water and rinse the hell out of your glasses. +1 Pablo.
Author: DavidS
May 23rd, 2010
2:07 am
I agree with Denny.
May 23rd, 2010
7:34 am
I love this forum. I rinsed out my glass, and I can still smell that hop aroma. Thanks everyone.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.