Home » Forum » Trub smell Register | Login
Subject: Trub smell
Author: dactat
Mar 26th, 2010
2:57 am
I just bottled my first batch of beer the other night. A simple pale ale. The beer smelled fine, and besides being warm and flat tasted o.k. too. The trub, however, had a very foul smell. Is that normal, or is that an obvious indicator of infection?
Subject: Re: Trub smell
Author: DavidS
Mar 26th, 2010
3:01 am
Mine usually smells like the beer that was racked from it.
Author: JCF
Mar 26th, 2010
3:03 am
I am going to assume that since this is your first batch of beer that you are just not familiar with what the yeast and sediment at the bottom of a fermenter smells like. If the beer tastes good and smells good, then it is probably OK...

Take a good whiff of that cake and remember it, that way when you get to your next batch you can compare them in your head...
Author: AKconcoctions
Mar 26th, 2010
3:04 am
The few batches I have brewed were like that too, funky smelling leftovers. unless its really nasty and since you said it tastes ok I wouldn't worry about it.
But when it comes time to taste you beer heres a link of common off flavors to tell if it was infected
http://www.carolinabrewmasters.com/examstudy/Offflavors.htm
Author: boogs1860
Mar 26th, 2010
3:05 am
Wait 2 weeks, crack a cold one and taste. Let us know, we'll all cross our fingers. If it tasted good flat and warm it should be O.K.
Author: jjbrewhead
Mar 26th, 2010
3:08 am
Good Point Jf, to be honest, and after reading this thread I don't think I ever smelled my ycakes, I do save them for the next brews. I do taste and smell the beer during bottling. Learn something new, guess I'll smell the cakes from now on. good point.
Mar 26th, 2010
3:10 am
Why/ how do you save the cakes? what do you use them for? what do you keep them in?
Author: jjbrewhead
Mar 26th, 2010
3:16 am
I pour them into PET bottles and label them, stick them in the fridge for the next brew. Works great.
Saves cost on purchasing Yeast.
Author: JCF
Mar 26th, 2010
3:17 am
They are yeast cakes, it's a good way to save and propagate yeast. Use them to ferment your next several batches. Search "yeast ranching" on this site for more information.

I just pour the cake into a sanitized mason jar and throw it in the fridge until I need it...
Mar 26th, 2010
3:21 am
I do what JBH does.
Author: tulsa_bob
Mar 27th, 2010
4:12 pm
when i rack to secondary or bottling bucket the trub usually smells like rotten eggs (same with the wine we made) but i think this is normal, please correct me if i am wrong, but there hasn't been any off flavors in any of my beers (knock on wood) yet.
Author: BobbyD
Mar 27th, 2010
6:28 pm
label them ... I found a 2L PET bottle with a lot of yeast in it ... I don't know what kind though ... ya, label them.

Mar 27th, 2010
8:40 pm
Yup, I've set a 2 liter bottle aside with the intentions of marking it later. It ended up down the drain.
Mar 28th, 2010
7:30 pm
You just lifted my spirits bob. Now I'm going to celebrate and lift a few spirits myself.
Author: DarthRaider
Mar 29th, 2010
12:11 am
Its probably fine, like all these guys said, I am pretty sensitive to smell to due a motorcycle wreck 20 years ago that left me w/ a touch of dain bramage, and I also think the cakes have a "funk" to them almost everytime, its just yeast, you'll be fine pal.
Darth
Mar 29th, 2010
12:22 am
"dain bramage"

Mar 29th, 2010
2:30 am
Mar 29th, 2010
3:12 am
crap. what? wait.
Mar 29th, 2010
3:19 am
hehe, Syntax errors occur more frequently now, I'm always saying stuff like the tree ran up the squirrell.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.