Home » Forum » MegaPot vs Polarware vs Blichmann Register | Login
Subject: MegaPot vs Polarware vs Blichmann
Author: CB
Mar 8th, 2010
4:14 pm
I got the OK yesterday from SWMBO that I can order a new 15 gallon brewpot (massive grin on my face). I'm looking for some opinions or experiences on the quality (cost is really a non-issue) to help me make my decision. Any input you can give is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Subject: Re: MegaPot vs Polarware vs Blichmann
Author: OneHoppyGuy
Mar 8th, 2010
5:22 pm
The MegaPot and MoreBeer's kettle are the same unit. Made in China by Fermentap. (Fermentap is a MoreBeer subsidiary.) The price is identical for either. If you want the lid notched for an immersion chiller, MoreBeer can do that, you would have to check with Northern Brewer.

The Polarware handles are only spot welded on creating a weak point and the lid handle is recessed making it necessary to use a pot holder to lift the lid.
The superior kettle is is the Blichmann. The Blichmann is more expensive (approx. $100) but it includes more than $100 worth of extra features (gauge, sight glass) and is a more stout product. However, a sight glass on a boil kettle is not the best of ideas. Boiled wort will be up in the small tube making it necessary to clean it after each batch and there does not appear to be a way to plug that port.

The Sabco boil kettle includes a sight glass also. At $519 the Sabco is the most expensive and considering the cost of making your own keggle, Sabco's kettle is not a good value.

Best bang for your buck is the Fermentap/MegaPot.

Author: Outinthestix
Mar 8th, 2010
11:59 pm
Ive seen all three and would still take a converted sanke keg and customize it to your needs as its taller than most and much cheaper! Like Kurt said a sight glass in your boil kettle is just another thing to clean...a sight glass in your HLT would be just fine..
Mar 9th, 2010
12:56 am
I saw a complete keggle set (BK MT & LT) on CL today for $350 but it sounds like he's just shopping for one right now. I had keggles with nice tig welding done. I still prefer my kettles more.
Author: Zane
Mar 9th, 2010
1:11 am
I bought none of the above. Cabela's had a great deal on stainless pots. And I had a 50 dollar off coupon so it was much cheaper.

I don't know if they still have them but the one I got was very solid. If I need a larger one, and I will soon, I will go there first.

Author: jtrainer
Mar 9th, 2010
3:04 am
Converted keg.... nothing more.

Author: pointpaleale
Mar 9th, 2010
3:25 am
(Converted keg.... nothing more.)

agreed.. sight glass unnecessary,(find a measuring stick) thermo? (unless HLT)
Author: Scallywag
Mar 9th, 2010
5:31 am
http://bayouclassicdepot.com/1060_stainless_steel_pot.htm
Mar 9th, 2010
5:42 am
ok Chris... now you have to tell us when you decide on one.... good luck
Author: SOGOAK
Mar 9th, 2010
1:06 pm
I made 2 keggles for under $100

Megapot sounds like a product you'd use at an allman brothers show.
Author: CB
Mar 9th, 2010
1:39 pm
I've decided to get a 15 gallon MT from morebeer or NB. Then I'm going to look for a keg to convert into a HLT. This would really beef-up my 3 tier system.
Author: beer4u
Jan 8th, 2013
5:12 pm
Over 34 years of equipment purchases, I've owned all 3, plus lots of fermenter types... Many bent, broke, shattered, etc. Some were cheap Chinese thin metal that I question was even stainless. The more you brew, particularly with my pro-level friends, the more we appreciate sanitary welding & heavy duty. My latest purchases over the last 6 years were Sabco products. Best of all of them and top notch. Have yet to break one. Worth the difference if you're tired of HB crap and are in it for the long run.
Author: murfreesboropd
Jan 8th, 2013
5:26 pm
I agree with Sabco products. Not everyone can afford them.
Author: beer4u
Jan 8th, 2013
7:15 pm
Right you are... but consider the price of having to throw away garbage kettles like I did, or the time lost cleaning unsanitary, threaded connections. Do it right the first time and you save money while enjoying better equipment. Cheers.
Author: WVaBill
Sep 6th, 2013
2:14 am
I have a 10 gallon polarware pot I have used for the past 4 years or so. Worked great so far. Plus made in the US.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.