Home » Forum » Back Sweetening Cider Register | Login
Subject: Back Sweetening Cider
Author: mandmbooth
Jan 3rd, 2010
10:08 pm
I have 5 gallons of cider that I just racked into my glass carboy. In a few weeks, I would like to bottle and sweeten. I have read about using Frozen Concentrate to Back Sweeten as well as Honey. I was curious how much I would need to add as well as if anyone has used these before. I am going to add Potassium Sorbate to prevent a new fermentation to start. My plan is for this to be a still cider. Any thought will be appreciated as I am still new and learning!
Subject: Re: Back Sweetening Cider
Author: bryguy
Jan 4th, 2010
1:52 am
Taste it when you're ready to bottle and then decide. If you want to have a more pronounced apple flavor then use some good frozen concentrate. Otherwise you can use any sort of sugar you want. You might also consider wine conditioner which is made for this sort of thing.
Author: Rex_Irae
Jan 4th, 2010
3:47 am
The concentrate probably already has the sorbates in it.
Honey will work, depending on how long you plan to keep it.
It takes a long time for that stuff to break down.
Jan 5th, 2010
1:44 am
I tried the wine conditioner last year and wanted to try something different....

Rex - How long will it take for the honey to sweeten the cider? Does it have to break down in order to sweeten?
Author: Rex_Irae
Jan 5th, 2010
2:00 am
The honey will sweeten the cider immediately.
It loses sweetness as it breaks down.
Were the yeast active, it would probably keep most of the sweetness for about 3 months or so.
Hard to get any carbonation by bottle conditioning when you have sorbates around.
Jan 8th, 2010
1:56 am
Thanks for the info!

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.