Home » Forum » Blue Moon Clone- input Register | Login
Subject: Blue Moon Clone- input
Author: Buschleague
Mar 1st, 2009
3:00 pm
Here is a recipe i'm considering for my next all grain adventure. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

4.5lbs Pale Malt Crisp (UK)-- not sure (with my limited knowledge) this is?
4.5lbs Wheat Flaked
1oz Goldings East Kent (60 min)
.75oz Coriander Seed (5 min)
.75oz Orange Peel, bitter (5 min)-- not sure if that is actually just orange peel (zest) or and actual item
1 pkg Belgian Witbier (White Labs #400)

Batch size 5.2 gal
Boil size 6.5gal
Est OG 1.038 SG
Eff. 75%
Boil time 60 mins

Mash in 3.5 gal water temp 165.9 goal 154 (60 mins)
Mash out 3.0 gals water temp 196.6 goal 168 (10 mins)

Primary 7
Secondary 5

Please comment on whether that sounds right, or make subs as you see fit

Thanks
Subject: Re: Blue Moon Clone- input
Author: Bopper
Mar 1st, 2009
4:00 pm
I brewed a wit a few years ago.....It was very simular to hoegaarden, but a bit more spicy.....

5 uk imperial gals(6 us gals)

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) UK (1.0 SRM) Grain 54.01 %
4 lbs 9.0 oz Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 41.04 %
8.8 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4.95 %
1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 17.0 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
1.00 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.00 oz Orange Peel,Bitter,Curaco Orange Peel (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafBrew Specialty Ale (DCL Yeast #T-58) Yeast-Ale

I did alot of research on this......Percentages are right! I used torrified-wheat, it should have been raw wheat, plus the yeast is not correct, as only thing available to me! Use the correct orange-peel, if you dont, you might end up with a metalic taste.......

Richard

Author: dkubarek
Mar 4th, 2009
2:19 am
An ounce of saaz in Blue Moon? Coors must be sending you guys the good stuff. I think both recipes sound close other than that but the WLP 400 is probably a little more flavorful than Blue Moon. That's a good thing, so go for it. Also, the bitter orange peel is an item available at brew hops. You can use orange zest (orange peel is made from curacao orange rinds, but I can't find them anywhere). I made a Unibroue clone with the zest and a friend repeated the recipe with zest from fresh supermarket oranges and both were great. If you zest your own, two things: scrub the oranges to get rid of pesticides and other coatings. And, try to get as little of the white skin below the orange zest as possible. It tastes bad. Bushleague, I also think your IBUs are right on. Two changes I would make for your recipe: Sub 4 ounces of white sugar for some of the grain to get the same target OG. Second, and not as important, use pilsener malt instead of pale. I actually made my wit back to back (one for a friend's wedding) and used Pale the second time around. I liked it better, but it had more flavor/body than Blue Moon.
Author: markymarkchitown
Mar 4th, 2009
4:25 am
If you're looking for a similar blue moon flavor use WL's platinum strain Bavarian Wheat. I got really close with just using all wheat DME and the WL Bavarian Wheat... Just a bit more fruity/ orange flavor... I also fermented it fairly high (-70). I didn't get as much banana as you think you'd get from a bavarian wheat strain... so for what it's worth you can give that strain a whirl this summer.
Mar 7th, 2009
2:46 pm
Thanks Guys here is my recipe as of today

5lbs Belgian pilsner
3lbs Belgian wheat
2lbs flaked wheat
2oz Belgian aromatic
4oz flaked oats

.75oz Kent Golding (60mins)
.5oz Kent Golding (10 mins)
.5oz Saaz (1 min)
3/4 tsp cracked coriander (50 mins)
1/2 tsp cracked coriander (10 mins)
1/4 oz bitter orange peel (50 mins)
1/2oz bitter orange peel (10 mins)
White labs WLP400

Batch size 6 gals
Boil volume 8 gals
Boil time 60 mins

Mash temp 150 for 90 mins

Mar 17th, 2009
12:01 am
Ok using the above recipe are these gravity readings about right?

After sparge 1.020 @ 125 degrees ( out of mashtun)

cooled wort 1.038 @ 70 degrees (after boil)

racked to secondary 1.020 @ 68 degrees

any input would be great?????
Author: jeffwilliams11
Mar 17th, 2009
12:19 am
not at all sure what your numbers are based on, but mine (beersmith) say that your post boil gravity should be 1.048, your (cooled) pre boil should be 1041, and you should finish at 1012.

also, with that much adjunct, you're going to want to add at least a pound of rice hulls to your mash, otherwise its going to stick like a mofo. and since this is a wit, and clarity is not really an issue, i'd just give it an extra week in primary and skip the secondary all together.

i'm not sure about your long boil times for the orange peel and the coriander...i've never brewed with spices, but i think that your not going to get flavors you want going that route. i'm sure someone else will chime in there.

my 2 cents...
Mar 17th, 2009
7:41 am
Those numbers are actuals, and luckily it did not stick.
Mar 17th, 2009
10:41 am
sooo...with 1038 og and 1020 fg, you only have a 2.3% beer there...

did you overshoot your volume or something? any ideas as to the cause of your missed gravity?
Author: AZbrewman
Mar 17th, 2009
4:21 pm
46% attenuation, somthing went wrong

or is it not done?
Mar 17th, 2009
4:32 pm
and just barely 62% effeciency on the mash...ugh...
Mar 17th, 2009
7:30 pm
That's what i thought,, anyway at this point i can up the alcohol % or am I stuck with 2-3 beer.
Mar 17th, 2009
8:00 pm
I'd let it be and start over. Learning lesson

How does it taste? IF ok drink it, if not start messing with it and see.
Mar 17th, 2009
9:15 pm
flavor is great but I'll have to drink the whole batch to get a buzz
Mar 17th, 2009
9:18 pm
Looking at the above recipe (last one posted) is there anything there that I should address?
Mar 17th, 2009
9:21 pm
If you need a buzz sip whiskey or make a big beer.

I keep several beers around. Thats importants just in case you need something light or something big.
Author: John_Ferens
Mar 17th, 2009
9:46 pm
Having a low alcohol brew that tastes good is not a bad thing, it's actually not that easy to do, so if you like it, enjoy it!

One thing that caught my eye, if it is correct, you listed 8 gallons in the boil for 60 minutes to get 6 gallons out - that's a 25% evaporation rate and mighty high for most systems. Might be you just used too much water for the mash? Just a guess. Also, did you hit your mash temps?

John.
Mar 17th, 2009
9:52 pm
Yea I looked at my notes again and I did use too much water in the mash-- my temps were very consistent at 153-150

Thanks guy's I'll try this recipe in another couple of weeks
Mar 17th, 2009
9:54 pm
Looking at your recipe, it seems fine. Something gave you bad efficiency and attenuation, which is why you're way off. Don't think the recipe sounds off, tho. I usually finish at about 1.009 if I start around 1.046, but I use a bit of sugar. Still, I would expect around 75% attenuation for that yeast. Calibrate your thermometer. That sounds like the most likely culprit for both issues. If you're still in the secondary, here is how I would fix it: Get a small starter (use good yeast nutrient) of that yeast (or anything you have) going at krausen and pitch it in the secondary. Make sure it is very active. Don't aerate. For added assurance, simmer for 10 minutes and cool 4 ounces of sugar in a 1/2 cup of water and add that to the secondary. These steps should get the fermentation unstuck, and also boost alcohol. Be sure to ferment warm, like 70 F.
Mar 17th, 2009
9:56 pm
just saw the note about volume being off. That'll throw efficiency off (maybe not that much), but doesn't explain the poor attenuation.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.