Home » Forum » "How To Brew" in .pdf?? Register | Login
Subject: "How To Brew" in .pdf??
Author: Freeflynick
Nov 28th, 2008
7:10 pm
Hello everyone!
I am soon to be entering the home brew labyrinth (a starter kit is on my Xmas list!) and I saw from your threads here that John Palmer's "How To Brew" is a good place to start learning the tricks of the trade. His website has the first edition uploaded to read, but I was wondering if anyone had a .pdf version that I could store on my laptop and print out sections when I needed them.

Or does anyone have any other .pdf books that they could share?

Thanks guys, and I look forward to asking more questions and favors of you later!!

Cheers!

Nick (Scotsman living in Houston)
Subject: Re: "How To Brew" in .pdf??
Author: sandiego_hop_head
Nov 28th, 2008
7:14 pm
I'd recommend buying Papazian's book: The new complete joy of homebrewing.
Author: DavidS
Nov 28th, 2008
7:28 pm
Palmer also sells a book, so I doubt that he'd be that accommodating.

Here's most of what you need:

http://www.tastybrew.com/articles/dennyconn001
Author: OgreLokon
Nov 28th, 2008
7:32 pm
"Radical Brewing" by Randy Mosher is one of my faves. Excellent read.
Author: sweetloaf
Nov 28th, 2008
8:04 pm
i've heard scotsmen were cheap.

if you're just starting out brewing, you'd really be well served to buy at least one book. many of us cut our teeth on Papazian, but most would agree a lot of the advice in there is now quaint at best. How to Brew, in my opinion, is the best (Radical Brewing is great, but not a how-to and not for beginners). what's on the website is two editions out of date. why not buy the latest, and make sure the author gets his due for all his hard work. it will quickly become your bible, and palmer and others will continue having an incentive to publish.
Author: radtek
Nov 28th, 2008
8:44 pm
These guys will be talking at a somewhat advanced level but with some reading as suggested and an investigation of a few of these archived shows you'll get up to speed fairly quick.

Good luck...

www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Jamil-Show
Author: Freeflynick
Nov 28th, 2008
8:55 pm
So you heard how copper wire was invented? Two Scotsmen fighting over a penny!!

Thanks for all your advice and quick responses. I recently bought a Triumph motorcycle and the guys on the triumphrat.net website were amazing in their efforts to help, and you guys seem to be equally impressive - I guess people who are passionate about what they do are keen to share their passion and knowledge. I can see I will on here regularly in the coming years!

From the sounds of it I think I will splash out and get Palmer's recent edition and take it from there.

Thanks again guys. If there are any of you in the Houston area, would love to get together sometime to drink and talk beer!

Cheers,

Nick
Author: DaleHair
Nov 28th, 2008
11:35 pm
Ditto what BB said.

I think all new brewers should read denny's article that BB posted and howtobrew.com.

There is an open source app that will download websites, but it will also download all links on the site. howtobrew is 11.5 MB
Author: hankus
Nov 29th, 2008
2:08 pm
I believe I have read just about every brewing book published in the past 20 years courtesy of an excellent library and interlibrary loan system and owned for a while a lot of them-I would buy only a few-Amazon is cheapest

HowTB is so frequently referred to by me that it is worth purchasing and I do consider John Palmer as someone who researches his subject well and he deserves support

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Palmer%2CJohn&x=14&y=22

...Papazian's Original (New Complte Joy,etc) was fun but certainly outmoded but the explanations of principles are simple enough to cut your teeth on and it's pretty cheap
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0380763664/ref=sr_1_olp_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227966664&sr=1-4

The recipes are surprisingly good but I would NOT follow his technique though
You can get a lot of recipes here or Recipator

http://hbd.org/recipator/

U might also enjoy a subscription to Brew Your Own which is colorful but you will soon outgrow it

Stick with this site as well as
newsgroups-on yahoo and rec.crafts.brewing

When U move to allgrain,BUY and use frequently as a reference
Designing great beers-Daniels

...BTW, HOUSTON has some excellent brewing clubs and brewshop and their Dixie Cup is worth my driving 250 miles to attend
Author: DConn
Nov 29th, 2008
4:51 pm
I'd skip Papazian and just buy a copy of the 3rd edition of How to Brew. There's much more info than in the online 2nd edition, and John is a great guy who'd deserving of your money.
Author: baderbrau
Nov 29th, 2008
6:39 pm
not dissent from the crowd here, but I started with a kit and one sheet of instructions from the local shop. I called the guy when I had a question. With advice from a brew buddy (thanks pete from SD!), I got through steeping/partial mash/extract successfully. I got all of my "advanced" knowledge from this and a few other websites. Since feb/07 I have lost count of the batches and have been doing all grain since june... kegging/yeast washing as well. all without a single book.

who needs em?

when you change your process, just check out a few threads on the subject, and you can get a feel for how several different people approach any given step.

just my two cents.
Author: BoonieBrew
Nov 29th, 2008
9:14 pm
baderbrau, I read forums and how-to sites to get myself going. After a few batches I found out about the free version of How To Brew so I went and read it, not really anything in that version that I didn't know, but it was all compiled in one place. If I could do it again I'd just get a real copy of the book before reading things from all over the place.
Nov 30th, 2008
4:31 am
Boonie,
I'm sure you're right that it would be quicker/smarter to start being successful with a good book, rather than going all around the web, but I kinda had alot of fun in the early phase of my development as a homebrewer exploring all the random stuff out there. I guess it was that first few months when I was a little obsessed with the hobby, and searching all over, reading old threads was exciting. Especially when something new works! I only posted my first AG batch experience on this site a few months ago, and that process already feels routine. thank god there are so many variables to tinker with, I don't think I'll ever get bored of this stuff.

Author: hankus
Nov 30th, 2008
6:11 pm
U wrote
"I don't think I'll ever get bored of this stuff"
well,this very focused guy has been through old car/antique furniture restoration,competitive chess,scuba diving/running,gardening and they each held my interest about 5+ years but brewing has been fun since 1996-
Author: TimO
Nov 30th, 2008
11:32 pm
I could have ruled the world of beer if I had the internet back in 93' when I did my first batch

I started with Papazian's book back then and Denny is correct in his advice on the book from Palmer and I share the sentiments. If I was starting today I wouldn't buy a book, but the bounty of brewing sites is enough to learn what you need to do. My favorite sites are the guys who do brewing blogs and video them and have them on youtube. Watch a couple of those to get the feel for what you are doing.

Have fun.

TimO
Dec 1st, 2008
1:00 am
+1 on youtube videos being really helpful when you start out. TimO, great point. I also love to watch the videos so you can hear the crazy midwestern/new jersey/ texas accents on those guys.
Author: sandiego_hop_head
Dec 1st, 2008
1:49 am
+1 on not getting bored. A few years under my blet at this point and I haven't made the same recipe twice!! I agree that radical brewing is a good book. I haven't read Designing great beers, yet.

Pete
Author: DConn
Dec 1st, 2008
5:37 pm
The possible problem with getting your info online is that you have to know enough to be able to evaluate the accuracy of your sources. The good thing about HTB is that you KNOW that the info's gonna be correct.
Author: DavidS
Dec 1st, 2008
5:41 pm
All of the info you get from Tastybrew is accurate except for that given by j trainer, Dan R and sometimes Denny.
Author: jtrainer
Dec 1st, 2008
7:27 pm
ROFLOL.... I resemble that comment BB...

Author: bryguy
Dec 1st, 2008
8:04 pm
Nick, as others have suggested, HTB is worth paying for. If you really want it for cheap then refer to the online version but borrow the new edition from your library to get any updated info. If you really really wanted an offline version you could use PDFCreator to create a PDF of the site by printing each page and using the append feature. It would take a lot of time to do but within the realm of possibility.
Author: Burp
Dec 2nd, 2008
3:00 am
BB said
"All of the info you get from Tastybrew is accurate except for that given by j trainer, Dan R and sometimes Denny."

You forgot Richard and the Guiness +100 IBU stout and the thread about using corn in your beer.
Author: BB_BrewBoy
Aug 9th, 2013
5:12 pm
"BB said
"All of the info you get from Tastybrew is accurate except for that given by j trainer, Dan R and sometimes Denny."

You forgot Richard and the Guiness +100 IBU stout and the thread about using corn in your beer. "

And my own advice.

How did this thread get to the top when Burp's comment was in 2008?
Author: DaleHair
Aug 9th, 2013
6:37 pm
deleted spam
Author: BB_BrewBoy
Aug 9th, 2013
8:57 pm
OK Thanks.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.