Home » Forum » Smirnoff Ice Register | Login
Subject: Smirnoff Ice
Author: Dave
Jul 12th, 2004
6:02 pm
Anyone know how to make Smirnoff Ice, its a flavored beer, has anyone tried to make it or has a recipe for it?

Dave
Subject: Re: Smirnoff Ice
Author: sladek
Jul 12th, 2004
7:23 pm
I would think making a fairly weak wort, flavored with real alcohol, would do the trick.
add the vodka at end of fermentation so you dont kill the yeast, maybe prime the beer with vodka and sugar when you bottle. would be one way.

of course this would just flavor the beer like vodka, the effect of the vodka's alcohol would be not play much toward the overall alcohol content, so you would need to make a beer thats very light but have a high alcohol content. start with 1.050 SG then rest at 140 for 10-20 minutes then at 149 to conversion to make the beer dry as possible and to get as much sweet wort from the grains as possible, then use a yeast with a very high attenuation to convert as much sugar to alcohol as possible, then flavor with vodka in secondary are when you bottle it. not sure how much Vodka it would take to flavor 5 gallons. Mash grains with juniper berries? anyway

Good question.....
Author: sladek
Jul 12th, 2004
7:32 pm
oh dont use any hops, this will only mask the flavor and taste of the Vodka, I would think
Author: Richanne
Jul 12th, 2004
8:42 pm
Homestyle Citrus Cooler

5 gallon batch:
2 lbs unhopped dry malt extract
2 lbs corn sugar
2 lbs honey
6 cans of 12oz frozen lemonade concentrate (or swap out a can or two for a can limeade)
Cooper's dry Yeast

After bringing about 1.5 gallons of water to a boil, take off the heat and stir in the DME, corn sugar, and honey. Bring this back to a boil for 10 minutes or so. Cool, put in the fermenter and add water to the 5 gallon mark, then add your yeast. Let it ferment a week, then put the (thawed/liquefied) concentrate into the secondary and rack the brew onto it. Another few days fermenting and its ready to go to the keg.

Note that by changing the type of DME, the Honey, the frozen concentrate mix and yeast you can really vary this brew quite a bit.
Author: Robson
Jul 13th, 2004
3:58 pm
Crazy! I was just about to post some abuse about these recipe suggestions when I realised my mistake: here in the UK Smirnoff Ice is a vodka based fizzy lemonade drink - nice, but not worthy of this site.

It seems that Smirnoff are attempting to reverse the American tradition set by Budweiser and Miller, and actually using malt in their beverages!

Sorry guys, only kidding!
Author: Robson
Jul 13th, 2004
4:00 pm
Lawrence - if you're relying on the vodka to kill the yeast, how is it going to prime?

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.