Home » Forum » Can I make a fruit wine without sugar? Register | Login
Subject: Can I make a fruit wine without sugar?
Author: Robson
Jul 7th, 2004
9:37 am
Apart from grapes, is there any fruit with which I can successfully make a wine without having to use extra sugar (or grape juice)?

Also, is it strictly necessary to use campden tablets (or equivalent), as I would really like to make a fruit wine with just fruit, water and yeast?

Any recipes or suggestions would be gladly received! Thanks!
Subject: Re: Can I make a fruit wine without sugar?
Author: sladek
Jul 7th, 2004
6:46 pm
Sure you can like apples, pears, grapes, peaches, pineapple.
Most fruits as mentioned have natural sugar in them and without adding extra sugar, these can be turned into a wine of about 4% to 6% volume alcohol. This is a low alcohol content and the wine will not keep for long, although it could be drunk young. Most home wine makers prefer to make a stronger wine of about 12% to 17%, so sugar is needed to bring the alcohol content up to a level high enough to store longer. you can add a mild honey instead of sugar to bump up the alcohol a bit, maybe some clear rock candy, or better yet try your hand at a Melomel (Fruit Mead).

About the Campden, hmmm well it is use to stop any WILD yeast strains and bacteria, also it will stop the fermentation process at bottling time. If your wine is turns cloudy, it still has yeast fermenting, adding the tablets will stop it. if you let the wine settle out and clear and on its own and If you HAVE A VERY SANITARY AREA for storage AND ARE VERY STERILE IN YOUR METHODS you could risk it. if you use use honey I would use the tablets or pasturise the honey, to drive off any wild yeast or bacteria, before you use it. also adding 2 teaspoons of boiled tea (or 2 teabags) for every gallon of wine to the fermenting container can help. Adding the tea adds tannin, which will vastly improve the taste of your wine and is essential if you want your wine to keep.

Good Luck!
Lawrence
Author: Ziggy
Jul 8th, 2004
3:11 am
R Knudsen Cranberry and Santa Cruz Organic Cranberry juice both make an excellent Rose(e) wine. It will be quite drinkable two weeks from bottling, but would almost certianly only improve with age.
Jul 8th, 2004
3:28 pm
Thanks guys.

About the pasturising of the "wort" (correct word for wine?) - I've done this successfully with honey when making mead. If I take the juice off the pulp, can I do the same with this? Is the the pectin (which makes it go hazy) in the juice or in the pulp, or in both?

Melomel might be the way to go.
Author: Ziggy
Jul 8th, 2004
4:40 pm
Robson, for wine, the correct term is 'must'.

Below is a link to a great wine making page:
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/index.asp
Jul 8th, 2004
5:00 pm
well the correct word is "must" for wine. pasteurizing of the must is not needed, a good and quick fermentation should kill any bad guys in the must. what you add before it is must, like honey are fruits might need pasteurizing to kill wild yeast or bacteria. Once fermentation starts, any thing left in must should be killed. just make sure YOU ARE VERY sanitary when you rack and bottle your must/wine.

Pectin is in the fruit you use and the juice as well.

Well, I love a good Melomel...hehe Meads are great, Just takes a ton of honey, many honeys to chose from as well. just check out all the different honeys and there flavors first and check out Meads on the net for recipes and instructions. A Melomel you can use any fruit EXCEPT apples or grapes. if you use apples the mead is called a "Cyser" if you use grapes it is called a"Pyment"

My favorite meads are a Braggot(mead with malted barley and hops), Melomel(mead with fruit), and a Metheglin (mead with spices)

also a still mead you bottle without priming.
a sparkling mead you prime when you bottle

Either way you go, will make a great wine
I am partial to meads, my friend makes some all the time, and it will kick your butt with Alcohol...lol
it is prob the oldest drink containing alcohol known to man, in fact The Braggot was the begining of the ALE

check out this page... http://www.gotmead.com/making-mead/index.shtml

good luck!
Jul 8th, 2004
5:03 pm
http://www.gotmead.com/mead-recipes/bees-lees-ii.shtml

also try this page for some great Mead recipes
Jul 9th, 2004
9:57 am
Thanks for the links and glassary dudes - you've given me a lot to think about, and it's always nice thinking about these things!
So with proper and careful pasteurisation I think I'm going to skip on the campden tablets...
Author: fusiondust
May 6th, 2014
7:27 pm
Pineapple does not play nice with yeast. I really like bread yeasts for 3 week fermentation times and champaign yeast for 1-2 week. Added sugar just gives you extra kick. Not necessary but highly effective with regards to ABV of finished product.
Author: goschman
May 6th, 2014
7:34 pm
-
May 9th, 2014
5:58 pm
Wow I just came on this site to ask a new question, only to see that someone’s given a new answer to a question I raised 10 years ago. Funny I just got back into wine making too.
Author: kellyhh
May 10th, 2014
7:40 pm
You don't have to boil or heat honey. You can if you like, but you don't have to. If you listen to Michael Fairbrother's interviews on BeerSmith, he mentions that he never raises the honey's temp above 80F.

I've got 4 meads going: Cherry; Pear Pie; Ginger Peach; and a multi-berry Bomb. I didn't boil the honey for any of them. In fact, I didn't boil the tap water that I used to top them up. Thus far, the flavors are spot on (well, except the pear, but it gets better every day), and I don't see any sign of infection.

If you use staggered nutrients, keep the fermentation below 66F, and de-gas/aerate for the first 3 days, the ABV goes up so fast that I can't imagine there are many beasties that could live in it, and it doesn't create rocket fuel.

But man, if those temps get above 70F...

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.