Home » Forum » priming a 12 oz bottle Register | Login
Subject: priming a 12 oz bottle
Author: sberg
Feb 26th, 2008
6:47 pm
How much sugar (table or corn) does a 12oz bottle require for priming?
Subject: Re: priming a 12 oz bottle
Author: sweetloaf
Feb 26th, 2008
6:51 pm
1 oz/gallon divided by 10.67 (number of 12ozers in a gallon) = 0.094 oz.

say .1oz and you're probably fine.
Author: Angler
Feb 26th, 2008
6:56 pm
I calculate 0.0109 oz with cane sugar but Nasa's not exactly beating down my door to help them out with mathematics.
Author: Shannon
Feb 26th, 2008
6:57 pm
Got any of those carbonation drops? I've started using them when I make a few bottles while I'm kegging. I always want to have a few bottles down the line to see how they go and also a few bottles to share.
Feb 26th, 2008
6:58 pm
Yeah sounds like a job for carb drops or prime tabs.
Author: jmo
Feb 26th, 2008
8:09 pm
I keep some on hand for just such an occasion - spendy for 48 bottles, but oh-so-handy for one or two.
Author: rulmyr
Feb 26th, 2008
11:00 pm
I drop in a heaping 1/2 teaspoon of corn sugar! Been doing it for a few years. I bottle just a few...the rest is kegged.
Author: brewsci
Feb 27th, 2008
12:14 am
1 oz ~ 30grams . So 3 grams per bottle if you have a gram scale.
Author: sberg
Feb 27th, 2008
3:57 am
Well I have been doing a yeast experiment so I have a few 1 gallon fermenters going and want to bottle straight from them. What I'm hoping for is a standard carbonation but not a bunch of bottle bombs.

I don't have the drops around and haven't seen them at my LHBS so I just wanted to know the sugar route.

.1oz of corn sugar sounds about right. Now all I need is a scale that is accurate that small! One more thing to buy. It never ends does it?
Feb 27th, 2008
4:21 am
You can look at it this way Sheldon. A cup of table sugar, the amount that you would use to carb a 5 gallon batch, has about 770 calories in it. Divide that between 53.333 beers, the number of beers that you'll theoretically bottle froma five gallon batch, and you'll come up with14.52 calories worth of sugar per bottle to carbonate. And we know that a level teaspoon of sugar has about 15 calories in it so it sounds like a level teaspoon of table sugar will do the trick just about perfectly.
Author: Rosace
Feb 27th, 2008
4:29 am
theres a discussion in HBD about batch priming under the thread bottle conditioning (born again)
some of have had success ussing a half teaspoon of sugar straight in the bottle and others using sugar cubes as well as coopers drops... Though I seldom post much in HBD, but often read the threads I will say I do respect the years and years of homebrew experience and advise they have to offer...
Author: DConn
Feb 27th, 2008
5:27 pm
I've heard of people putting a sugar cube in each bottle. Supposedly works perfectly, although I have no personal experience.
Feb 27th, 2008
10:48 pm
A sugar cube is roughly 25 calories worth of sugar so I'm sure that would work just fine too being that it just a little more sugar. It would probably work out better than the four gallon batch that I just mistakenly primed with enough sugar for a five gallon batch. It's quite bubbly.
Author: Galczynski
Feb 28th, 2008
12:59 am
I am but a simple homebrewer but I have always had good luck by mixing 3/4 to a cup of priming (corn)sugar to a 5 gallon batch when I transfer from secondary to bottling bucket. I boil about 1 1/2cups of pure -clean water for about 10 minutes and when it cools to 90 deg. I mix in sugar and put into bottling bucket and let the finished beer mix as it fills bottling bucket. I go into 16 oz. bottles and fill to just above where the body of the bottle meets the neck and store after capping in an area that is at least a steady 70 deg. for 4 weeks, or until all clear when looking through the bottle. Our bedroom walk in closet is a steady 72 deg. year round. With this "rule of thumb i've never had a beer bomb. In time you will learn which of your beers need more or less priming sugar. Hope this helps.
Author: DavidS
Feb 28th, 2008
1:09 am
Greg, I'm curious. Why don't you boil the sugar with the water?

Seems like a little added insurance in case the sugar is contaminated.
Mar 1st, 2008
10:51 pm
I don't know, but it is a good question AND point ! I guess I was afraid of breaking down the sugar ? I maybe should boil with sugar in, what sugar to water ratio do you use?
Author: jeffwilliams11
Mar 2nd, 2008
1:56 am
i put my sugar in a small pot with about 1 1/2-2 cups water. bring it to a boil, let it boil for maybe a minute or so to steralize it all but not long enough for it to start to thicken up. put a lid on it and start getting bottles and stuff sanitized. by the time thats all done, its cool enough and i just toss it in the bottom of the bottling bucket. seems to work out pretty good so far.

j
Author: spargebag
Mar 2nd, 2008
2:46 am
I still use an archaic plastic keg (Edme pressure barrel) from 1996 for session beers etc. THese use 8 gm co2 cartridges. THe 1st 1/2 of the keg that is primed is great. After this it gets flat + the cartridges dont do much, so I bottle the rest from the keg. Problem is if you attach a hose to the spigot + fill the bottle + add a teaspoon of sugar, it gushes like hell. But if you fill the bottle + ram a sugar cube in the neck + cap immediately, it works perfectly w/ no mess. This is the long way to say a sugar cube is perfect + convenient, especially if the beer is semi carbonated.
Mar 2nd, 2008
1:29 pm
Thanks for the feed back Jeff Williams.
Author: DConn
Mar 3rd, 2008
6:06 pm
Sugar to water ratio makes absolutely no difference. Just use enough water to disolve the sugar.
Author: brewsci
Mar 3rd, 2008
8:14 pm
But you don't want a syrup. It is harder to mix it evenly into the beer. And you don't have to cool it down. Just pour it into your bottling bucket and rack on top of it. There will be plenty of yeast to carbonate.
Author: cplgrimmy
Jan 29th, 2010
4:05 am
Hey,

try the batch prime method i prefer it myself. Adding the entire amount of sugar in the bucket then bottle each bottle while stirring every few bottles. I use my java calculator for this on my site. Goto www.grimmysbeer.com and under brewing calculators click --> Carbonation Priming Sugar.

You enter
-Bottle Temp °F
-Volume US Gallons
-Desired CO2 Level

It then gives you how many grams of sugar to add to your bucket to prime each bottle to your desired CO2 level for that specific style your looking for.

Just another options for you...

Cheers,
Marc

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.