Home » Forum » anyone malt corn or any other grain at home before Register | Login
Subject: anyone malt corn or any other grain at home before
Author: TexBrewer
Jan 30th, 2008
4:06 pm
since corn is the easy for me to find, i was thinking of malting it and using it in an experiment of mine. But i have know idea of how to do it. Please if someone has experince malting grains, corn expecially, please lend me you knowledge.
Subject: Re: anyone malt corn or any other grain at home before
Author: DConn
Jan 30th, 2008
6:21 pm
Can't say that I've ever seen malted corn before. I wonder why?
Author: ASouth
Jan 30th, 2008
10:10 pm
It doesn't have enough enzymes to be useful in a mash.
Author: DavidS
Jan 30th, 2008
10:40 pm
There's a book called the "Homebrewer's Garden" that discusses hop growing and malting your own barley. Is does not mention malting corn.
Author: greyhair
Jan 31st, 2008
4:08 am
I don't buy the "It doesn't have enough enzymes to be useful in a mash."
After all, moon shine is made from very simply mashed corn.
A typical process for sprouting takes a sack of corn and places it in a running stream.
From there, its mashed.

IIRC, George Washington made corn beer (could have been Jefferson).

Once I did take 1 lb. of pop corn, sprouted it and dried it. It smelled and tasted like malt.
The problem I see with making a beer from it has to do with the rather thin "husk" Not much filter material compared to barley.
Author: natesampson
Jan 31st, 2008
4:26 am
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not the CORN thread, again!!!!!
Author: PUGIDOGS
Jan 31st, 2008
4:08 pm
I malt Corn, Barley and Wheat. just kinda taught myself. I do this to facilitate the making of higher ABV alcohols. I may be able to help. Pugi

[IMG]http://i25.tinypic.com/10hrdwi.jpg[/IMG]
Jan 31st, 2008
4:43 pm
I really don't know much about malting, but the picture seems to show grain that has been allowed to germinate for too long. Is this normal?
Jan 31st, 2008
4:55 pm
Brewboy, If this were wheat or barley yes it would be overdeveloped, typical wheat or barley would have a acrospire 3/4 to the full length of the grain. Corn is a different beast, you must let it grow untill it is somewhere between 1 and 2 inches. If you don't it wont even be able to convert its self....Pugi
Jan 31st, 2008
6:01 pm
Actually, I didn't realize that was corn. Do you grow barley and other grains or just buy the raw grain?

If you have a website or other source of information about the process, I'd like to see it.
Jan 31st, 2008
6:38 pm
I buy whole grains from the feed store. Some malt better then others.

As for resources, just do a google search for malting. You will have many, many hours of reading. Most of its pretty good, some article suggest a shorter acrospire on corn and I have tried it. Just does not work well.

Go to the forum here and take a look as well http://www.homedistiller.org/
there are a few good threads on malting corn.

Corn malt is not very powerfull stuff, I figure that a good corn malt will only convert its equal weight, so 10 lbs of malted corn will convert 10 lbs of unmalted corn. Pugi
Author: hankus
Feb 1st, 2008
1:59 am
I homemalted wheat and discuswsed it on this forum...u can look it up...a difficult thing
Author: MrCoffee
Feb 1st, 2008
4:59 am
http://www.bodensatz.com/upage/?page=kiwibrewer_malting

You'd be better off buying or somehow making a pre gelatanized corn flake. Corn can convert itself but why, you want to have barley and or wheat with your corn or else it tastes like junk. Or in any amount as Denny will profess.
Author: ASouth
Feb 1st, 2008
5:31 pm
Every Bourbon or Sour Mash distiller has barley as part of its grain bill - usually at around 10% high dp Distillers' malt. But, it's there.
Author: MrCoffee
Feb 2nd, 2008
6:53 pm
Most distiller use more than 10% barley in their mash for complexity of flavor. If you wanted to use a large percentage of unmalted grains you could also use seperate amylaze enzyme. I've heard of a few people using 60/20/20 Corn/Barley/Wheat.
Author: TexBrewer
Feb 4th, 2008
2:07 am
thanks for the info, going to look at the homedistiller.org.
Author: pappaushi
Oct 24th, 2008
12:38 pm
You can "malt" any grain for that matter but corn is quite sweet and if used as a pure adjunct brew will be more of a cider.
There are a number of South American brews that are very old tradition maize beverages with fairly low alcohol levels.
They don't even resemble "beer", though they are brewed like beer. Japanese Sake is also brewed like beer but tastes more like rocket fuel....at least to me.

If you have a yearning for a really nice "corn beer" Miller Brewing Company has a nice website and they post their recipe in a round
about way. Miller beer is a Corn beer but also uses Barley of course. I think an Australian blonde malt ale and corn adjunct would produce a beautiful colored pale beer and could do well with a nice snappy hop.........hmmmm....

The Japanese brewers have invested heavily in adjunct brewing reaearch due to the fact that taxation is by % of malt and not alcohol...really strange! But.....They have nice tasting beers (in my opinion) with 25% malt and also 100% adjunct using pea extracts.

Malting corn is a bit tricky and malting oats in fact could be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing there. Corn is a bit delicate and there is sooooo many very good prepared adjuncts available....messing with it is just frustrating.
Author: Boletivore
Oct 24th, 2008
4:48 pm
Why can malting oats be dangerous?
Author: pappaushi
Oct 25th, 2008
10:44 am
Oats when malting are subject to a fungus that is a bit like "ergot" that attacks rye. Ergot is a killer when ingested, and in the 16th century in Europe, ergot poisoning was common until they finally discovered what it was. Ergot by the way, is what Lysergic Acid is extracted from henceforth LSD (Lysergic Acid Diethlimide), the illegal hallucigenic drug of the 60's.

While Barley and Wheat can be malted by the expericed home brewer, oats are still best left to professional liscenced maltsters.
Author: hankus
Oct 25th, 2008
1:55 pm
I joined this group almost a year ago to the day and one of my postings was about homemalting wheat ...I mentioned I had homemalted and I had also once driven from Mobile to the Panama Canal in a karman Ghia and said I was glad I had those experiences but didn't want to repeat either one...U can reference my comments and post if U need more info

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.